Other Tools
  IPC::Locker
  Parallel::Forker
  Voneline
General Info
  Papers

melpa support

Added by Adrian Fiergolski about 5 years ago

Hi, Are any plans to add the verilog-mode to an emacs package repository (i.e. MELPA) ?

Thanks, Adrian

Replies (9)

RE: melpa support - Added by Wilson Snyder about 5 years ago

The ELPA does not currently support packages that are also distributed as part of Emacs itself. When this is supported we probably will.

RE: melpa support - Added by David Rogoff over 2 years ago

Hi Wilson.

Any update on this? With recent versions of emacs and use-package, the package repositories are exploding with cool stuff. I really think verilog-mode should be there. Also, I don't see that it's distributed as part of emacs, so your reason doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

Thanks,

David

RE: melpa support - Added by Wilson Snyder over 2 years ago

Verilog-mode is distributed as part of Emacs. If you or someone wants to figure out how to make ELPA work (and not break the version in Emacs), I'll take the changes, but note the other Emacs maintainers need to also agree to them so it can't be too ugly :).

Ok, I didn't see it since it's not under the lisp directory or listed in packages. I found it under lisp/progmodes.

FYI, the version that came with emacs 25.2.1 (from July) is 2015-09-18-314cf1d-vpo-GNU. I'm using 2017-03-30-cb0d014-vpo. Why don't gnu emacs distributions come with the current version of verilog-mode?

Emacs 25.2 was in code frozen on Sep 2016, but that's still a gap. Perhaps I need to make a request or something to get it updated in the minor revision updates, I'll look into that.

Sorry, I did the wrong git command. It was 2017.

I don't know the mechanics of packages but I know that I use Manage Emacs Packages to get the latest org mode even though it's included with emacs. Here's the info on the included and elpa versions on my system. It's great being able to (almost) automatically update all the packages I use.

From Manage Emacs Packages

org                              20171023         installed             Outline-based notes management and organizer

From /usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/org

rw-rw-r-  1 root workareas 247833 2017-02-03  org.el.gz
rw-r--r-  1 root workareas    607 2016-06-29  org-version.el
  (let ((org-release "8.2.10"))

From /users/drogoff/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171023

rw-r--r-  1 drogoff workareas  962277 10-23 16:47 org.el
rw-r--r-  1 drogoff workareas     699 10-23 16:47 org-version.el
  (let ((org-release "9.1.2"))

From M-x org-version

Org mode version 9.1.2 (9.1.2-22-ga2a034-elpa @ /users/drogoff/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171023/)

RE: melpa support - Added by Emmanuel Bustos 10 months ago

I think this is a must. Melpa allows to have always the lastest version of all the packages and it will be a really good way to have constant updates for this incredibly powerful package. Also I think that the README in GitHub could be much, much better and modern looking.

RE: melpa support - Added by Wilson Snyder 10 months ago

We welcome patches to improve the README, or support MELPA (note as verilog-mode is part of Emacs this might be nontrivial).

(1-9/9)