Other Tools
  IPC::Locker
  Parallel::Forker
  Voneline
General Info
  Papers

AUTOINSTPARAM use with dependent parameters

Added by Berk Akinci about 1 month ago

Hi, I often find myself with parameterized modules with dependent parameters. They can't be localized because they affect ports (and I'm still using Verilog 2001).

In the below example, I'd like ideally to have user module to only have BYTES_PER_WORD exposed and all else calculated. (I do have a bit of dilemma on how complicated an expression I would tolerate in the brackets.) I saw that you recently added a regex to AUTOINSTPARAM, but then the undeclared parameters are used in the module instance ports.

Do you have a suggested use in this case w/ numerous dependent parameters?

I'm probably asking for a little too much automation, but I ask in case you have already solved this in a way I haven't discovered.

Thanks,

Berk

Here's a simplified example:
module multiplier
  #(// Parameters                                                                                                       
    parameter BYTES_PER_WORD = 4,                                                                                       
    parameter BITS_IN        = 8 * BYTES_PER_WORD,                                                                             
    parameter BITS_OUT       = 2 * BITS_IN                                                                                    
    )
   (// Outputs                                                                                                          
    output reg [BITS_OUT-1:0] out,
    // Inputs                                                                                                           
    input [BITS_IN-1:0]       in_a,
    input [BITS_IN-1:0]       in_b
    /*AUTOARG*/);

always @* begin : Combinational_Multiplier_Example
      out = in_a * in_b;
   end

endmodule // multiplier                                                                                                 
module example
  ();
   multiplier
     #(/*AUTOINSTPARAM*/)
   multiplier_instance
     #(/*AUTOINST*/);

endmodule // example                                                                                                    

Replies (7)

RE: AUTOINSTPARAM use with dependent parameters - Added by Wilson Snyder about 1 month ago

I'd suggest don't use ANSI style arguments, instead use 1995 style, and 2001's localparam:

module multiplier
  #(// Parameters                                                                                        
    parameter BYTES_PER_WORD = 4)
   (/*AUTOARG*/);

localparam BITS_IN        = 8 * BYTES_PER_WORD,
    localparam BITS_OUT       = 2 * BITS_IN

output reg [BITS_OUT-1:0] out,
    input [BITS_IN-1:0]       in_a,
    input [BITS_IN-1:0]       in_b

RE: AUTOINSTPARAM use with dependent parameters - Added by Berk Akinci about 1 month ago

Oooh. Thanks! I hadn't though of looking backward. I'll see how to work this into my "style."

RE: AUTOINSTPARAM use with dependent parameters - Added by Berk Akinci about 1 month ago

Foiled! The /*AUTOINST*/ expansion still refers to BITS_IN etc even with verilog-auto-inst-param-value:t.

RE: AUTOINSTPARAM use with dependent parameters - Added by Wilson Snyder about 1 month ago

I think you used "parameter" instead of "localparam".

I only used parameter for the BYTES_PER_WORD. I noticed I hadn't given a number to that parameter on the upper module. I even split them to proper two-files. May be it's because I have a mix of ANSI-style parameters and Verilog-1995-style ports.
Using verilog-mode version 2020-01-10-4aaa916-vpo

example.v - Top Level (522 Bytes)

multiplier.v - Module (1019 Bytes)

I misunderstood what you said was wrong in the last exchange, at present verilog-mode doesn't parse the value of the "inner" localparam, so won't do what you want.

I was thinking that's a lot of language awareness for verilog-mode... I know you've said in the past may be some day verilog-mode will parse and propagate default parameters. I think that would solve my issue (partially.) It still doesn't solve the BITS_OUT being dependent on BITS_IN. But with that knowledge, I can form my parameter expressions more appropriately. Anyway. Thanks for making and maintaining verilog-mode. It makes life a lot better.

(1-7/7)