Gspice
  IPC::Locker
  Rsvn
  SVN::S4
  Voneline
  WFH
General Info
  Papers

Retain verilog hirarchy in c++ class hirarchy ?

Added by Konrad Eisele 12 days ago

A Verilator newbee question: When I specify a hirarchical verilog design with multiple modules, split in several files, is the design then always flattend to a single c++ class or is there a possibility that verilator retains the hierarchy by createing a class for each seperate module ?

Replies (4)

RE: Retain verilog hirarchy in c++ class hirarchy ? - Added by Wilson Snyder 12 days ago

Verilator keeps, adds or combines classes based on a bunch of algorithms attempting to maximize performance. For the most part the using code should not be designed to care what the result classed are (except for using verilator public, which is duscouraged).

RE: Retain verilog hirarchy in c++ class hirarchy ? - Added by Konrad Eisele 12 days ago

I looking at a way where I can emulate peripherals via C functions and was reading through https://zipcpu.com/blog/2017/06/21/looking-at-verilator.html . Is there a way to read/drive signals other than the top-module signals? Is there a possibility to define a module in C that is inside the verilog structure? Maybe define a wires and use verilator public on them? There doesnt yet seem to be a foreign language interface?

RE: Retain verilog hirarchy in c++ class hirarchy ? - Added by Wilson Snyder 12 days ago

Use the DPI.

import "DPI-C" pure function void send_byte(uint8_t b);
always @ (posedge clk) begin
   if (enable) send_byte(data);
end

etc.

(1-4/4)