Verilog-mode
  Verilog-Perl
Other Tools
  IPC::Locker
  Parallel::Forker
  Voneline
General Info
  Papers

Verilator doesn't support UTF-8 formated verilog files.

Added by HyungKi Jeong over 2 years ago

verilator doesn't support UTF-8 format.
It makes error as shown below.

%Error: Specified --top-module 'top' was not found in design.
%Error: Exiting due to 1 error(s)

but without BOM code, that's fine.
UTF-8 text files are started with "EF BB BF" hex code.
and the others are same with ANSI codes.
Can support this for multi-language?

Replies (3)

RE: Verilator doesn't support UTF-8 formated verilog files. - Added by Wilson Snyder over 2 years ago

What is another simulator that supports it? It seems neither VCS nor NC-Verilog do, and I'm reluctant to add something non-standard unless a commercial tool supports it, especially as the BOM marker seems something that mostly only Microsoft Notepad wants to do.

RE: Verilator doesn't support UTF-8 formated verilog files. - Added by HyungKi Jeong over 2 years ago

I just want to use multi-language with verilator. Because I can use a little c codes with this. And gcc does. And I thought that it is not hard work to support it. Without bom code, almost editor program doesn't catch the text format. (Maybe default is ANSI). Eclipse is my favorite. I just want write a text in korean, japanease and so on..
But ANSI can't do it...

RE: Verilator doesn't support UTF-8 formated verilog files. - Added by Wilson Snyder over 2 years ago

Fix to ignore the BOM and check pass-through of UTF strings and comments added in git towards 3.926. Also added to Verilog-Perl towards 3.454.

(1-3/3)