Other Tools
  IPC::Locker
  Parallel::Forker
  Voneline
General Info
  Papers

Requiring C++11 compiler

Added by Wilson Snyder over 1 year ago

Some undetermined future version of Verilator will require a C++11 or newer compiler. If you have a system with only a older compiler where this would cause problems, please post a reply to this message, including if you don't mind the OS you are using and when you think C++11 might be OK. Thanks

Replies (10)

RE: Requiring C++11 compiler - Added by Thomas Dye about 1 year ago

apparently using msys2, g++ doesn't have a C++11 compatible compiler.

RE: Requiring C++11 compiler - Added by Thomas Dye about 1 year ago

this turns out to be resolved by closing msys2 and reopening it. Maybe I was following some bad instructions from SpinalHDL.

http://spinalhdl.github.io/SpinalDoc/spinal/sim/introduction/#windows

RE: Requiring C++11 compiler - Added by TAL FELD 9 months ago

hello,

I'm using CentOS 6.10 and I get this error message configure: error: the g++ compiler appears to not support C++11 I'm trying to install from the tarball

please advise

regards, TaL

RE: Requiring C++11 compiler - Added by Wilson Snyder 9 months ago

CentOS 6.10 uses GCC 4.4.7 which was from 2012 and does not support the ratified C++11.

If possible use a newer OS (e.g. CentOS 7.*.) or newer GCC (For a newer gcc you'll need to figure out yourself how to install it appropriately with yum)

If not possible pre-C++11 is supported with ./configure --enample-prec11. This is allowed now, but support will be going away likely within the year.

RE: Requiring C++11 compiler - Added by Paul E. 8 months ago

Not sure if this is the right place, but the current MSYS2 verilator version (4.012 2019-03-23) requires -faligned-new, which seems to be unknown to my 4.9.4 gcc.

It's within verilated.mk CFG_CXXFLAGS_NO_UNUSED = .... line 24

RE: Requiring C++11 compiler - Added by Wilson Snyder 8 months ago

-faligned-new is determined by the ./configure script. If you run ./configure on the same system as your gcc it should disappear.

RE: Requiring C++11 compiler - Added by Paul E. 8 months ago

You are right. The result of Verilator is cpp code and a makefile, but both can be used with a different compiler than the one which was used to build the verilator itself. In my case the verilator is provided by pacman msys2 precompiled, but I use a special compiler to compile the verilator code (cross compile). I could imagine other use cases where the verilator comes from a package management system but the compiler actually used is a different?

RE: Requiring C++11 compiler - Added by Wilson Snyder 8 months ago

The autoconf system Verilator uses supports the ability to specify a separate target cross compilers. If you (or someone in the future) want to provide patches to separate configuring the target compiler that would be welcome.

RE: Requiring C++11 compiler - Added by Don Owen 3 months ago

I'm using Verilator (4.018 currently) on a corporate RHEL 6.9 system (gcc 4.4.7). We're a mix of RHEL 6.x and transitioning to RHEL 7, but it's a slow process that started at least a year ago and will probably take at least another year. I additionally use Verilator on more modern Ubuntu (16.04+) systems which do support C++11. So, for now, the --enable-prec11 is very useful for me.

RE: Requiring C++11 compiler - Added by Wilson Snyder 3 months ago

Don, thanks for the update. For now you're ok, current thinking is to require C+11 starting somewhere from 6 months to 18 months from now, keep us posted.

(1-10/10)